I recently invested in a slow cooker (crock pot)!! It was super affordable from Wilkinson, about £25, and it works just fine! It has three settings: high, low, auto. Just shows that you don’t need to spend a fortune to have a decent product. It really feels like winter-time when I cooked with the slow cooker because it made my house smell so good, and because I live in a little studio flat, it heated my entire apartment!
How a slow cooker works: you throw a bunch of meat, veg, sauces, herbs & spices, whatever you want – just toss it in there – leave it for the day, come back, dinner cooked. Perfect for the working person, or the lazy student 🙂
I decided to make some slow cooker chicken thighs using whatever ingredients I had in my cupboards because I was skint (broke). I basically emptied an entire pot of mustard, and a couple of different vinegars into the slowcooks, rained on my chicken with herbs & spices, then sliced up a lemon that needed to be used. It turned out amazing – it looked a bit iffy going in – but the results were brilliant!!
I had a giant head of red cabbage chilling in my fridge as well, and I really wanted to make this red cabbage thing that my friend’s dad always makes for me when I go round to their house. I googled for ages trying to find pictures/recipes that looked like his, and I found out, its actually “blaukraut” which is German for Blue Cabbage!! The paleo recipe that I found here off The Domestic Man was super easy to follow and it tasted amazeballs. It would go really well with pork because of the apples, so I’m thinking of making some pulled pork in the slowcooks next week 🙂 A friend from the box (“box” is the term used for a crossfit gym) gave me some great tips on making pulled pork, so I can’t wait! It really feels like winter when cooking like this happens. It makes me feel so motherly and domestic – if only I didn’t live on my own! Having said that, the great thing about this was that I made enough for two dinners in a row, and I didn’t have to worry about making a meal when I got home late. I’m so excited to try making stews, curries, brisket, pulled pork.. the list goes on!
Slow Cooker Chicken Ingredients
– 6x chicken thighs (can be cooked from frozen)
– 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
-1/4 cup red wine vinegar
– 1 cup mustard (mine was plain old yellow, non-paleo friendly colman’s mustard)
– 1 tbsp spoon cayenne pepper
– 2 tsp dried coriander leaf
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1/2 lemon (sliced)
1. Mix balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and mustard in a bowl.
2. Place chicken thighs in slow cooker
3. Pour mixture over chicken thighs
4. Sprinkle cayenne pepper, coriander leaf, and salt & pepper over chicken
5. Give everything a stir, coating chicken
6. Place a lemon slice over each piece of chicken
7. Depending on how long you want to cook you chicken for. If cooking from frozen, set slowcooks at high for about 6 hours, if not from frozen, set on high for 3-4 hours. Alternatively, leave on low for 8 hours, depending on when you want to eat.
Blaukraut Recipe LINK
(I don’t want to jack someone else’s recipe and claim it as my own. Click the word “link” above)
Have a go and let me know what you think!!