I pulled these out of the oven, and I was just like, these look like scrotum. Don’t really know how else to put that, so uh, yeah. Without getting too vulgar or inappropriate, because you never know who is reading this, they tasted a lot better than they looked, and a lot better than actual scrotum. Too vulgar? My bad. Sorry, mum.
I used my remaining Paleo Pesto Meatballs and some bacon that I had chilling in the fridge. I love bacon, I could go on a massive rant about how much I love bacon, but I’m going to try and contain myself. I thought bacon was ok, but I think I was eating it all wrong, I was cooking soft, chewy bacon. I needed to embrace the crispy bacon!! I love crispy bacon. Let’s just leave it at that and continue. All I did was wrap my cold meatballs in bacon, and place them on a baking dish. Probably best to line the bacon dish with foil or baking paper, but I carpe-diem’d that shit.
Then I made, what I like to call “Super Mash”. It’s basically a way to get all my veg into one place. Its essentially, sweet potato mash with extras. I make a really lovely paleo sweet potato mash, if I do say so myself (recipe to come!). Super mash, is whatever veg you like, boiled and then mashed. No brainer.
I usually use sweet potato and broccoli. This time I added in carrots, because they needed to be used, but have also been known to throw in brussels sprouts, parsnips, swede, the the list goes on! I also always add in a clove or two of garlic, because its just so lovely and the benefits of garlic are wondrous.
I eat A LOT, and my portions might need to be halved for some people. So the following recipe could be good for 1-2 people. Some people may also be fine, with just two meatballs. Have a go and see what works for you. Never force feed yourself to finish what you can’t! Conversely, make bigger portions of all the good stuff if you know that a small portion isn’t going to sustain you! Listen to your body and what it needs. Everyone is different!
– 4x Paleo Pesto Meatballs
– 4x Bacon Rashers
– 1/2 cup Broccoli
– 1/2 Large Sweet Potato (peeled and chopped)
– 1 Carrot (peeled and chopped)
– 1-2 Garlic Cloves (whole peeled)
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Heat a saucepan of boiling water.
2. Line a roasting dish with foil or baking paper
3. Wrap the meatballs in bacon. Place in the oven until super mash is done.
4. Place all veg into boiling water.
5. Boil veg for about 10-15 mins. The softer, the better; the easier to mash.
6. Remove meatballs from the oven. Bacon should be crispy – allow these to cool while you prepare the mash.
7. When this is done, drain the water and mash the veg, add olive oil, and salt & pepper.
8. Eat up! Balls to the walls!